Red Painted Buffet

Some days I feel like I've been at this painting furniture thing for long enough now that it should all begin to look the same. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. I am continually amazed by each furniture makeover, and even more impressed by the new techniques and styles my team continues to achieve. While a lot of these makeovers tend to fall into the same pattern, this recent buffet was a bit outside the box, and left me inspired to push the envelope even more.

For beginners, red isn't one of my go-to colors. In fact, I can probably count on one hand the number of pieces I have painted red. However, I have recently seen a couple beautiful makeovers done in red by others in my industry, so I finally decided to take the plunge.

Natty Design

Natty Design

The CEH

The CEH

Here is how the piece started. It was a blonde Mahogany and a bit blah. 

A deep, rich red is what I was going for (more like the top example from the two buffets above). After looking at about a million paint samples, I settled on Heritage Red by Benjamin Moore. At least on the little 2" x 2" sample, it appeared to fit the bill, so I went with it.

Apparently how a color looks on a 2" x 2" square doesn't necessarily translate to how you envision it looking on an entire piece of furniture. After one coat, I got a text message from my team member working on the piece which went something along the lines of, "We've got a situation down here. You may want to come look at this." 

The door on the right is what I was looking at. After some major cringing and kicking myself for the poor color choice, we started brainstorming. We decided to darken it up a bit by adding in black. This got us to the door on the left, which was closer to what I was going for, but a bit too dark. Playing with the red:black ratio some more, we finally got it spot on!

Now that we had the color debacle settled, it was time to focus on the details. What you couldn't really see in it's original finish was all the gold metal detailing around the doors and drawers. You basically have three options with this kind of metal detailing. 1) Pretend it doesn't exist and paint over it. This is definitely the easiest of the options and I've gone this route on past pieces. 2) Maintain its integrity by taping it off. Extremely tedious. 3) Carefully remove it, and reapply it after the piece is painted. Again, extremely tedious. We went with option 3. Luckily, we were able to pry most of the pieces off without too much trouble. However, removing the pieces is only half the battle. The process to glue them back is just as cumbersome.

I was so anxious as the piece was slowly being put back together. The red was such a pretty shade and provided the perfect backdrop for the gold to really pop.

I knew the hardware and leg caps would add a lot, but the trim really knocked it up a notch.

The overall shape of the piece is a bit modern, but the deep red gives it such a classic feel.

For being such a bold piece, I really think it could fit well into many different decor styles.

I have to say, it's makeovers like these that really leave me feeling good. It definitely didn't have success written all over it from the start, but through teamwork and collaboration, I think we knocked this one out of the park.