It's been quite some time since I've done a furniture project for myself, but last week the opportunity struck, and I took advantage of it. We were up at the lake over a cold, rainy weekend which meant we were restricted to indoor activities. Kyle was suddenly motivated again to start a new home renovation project, so there was no way I was going to interfere with that! You know what they say, "Let a sleeping dog lie." So, that left me with finding my own rainy day project. That's when I decided to turn my attention to our entryway table.
I had purchased this table awhile back at a consignment store after a painfully long search to find a table with the dimensions I needed. It was the perfect size, I liked the style, but was never crazy about the color. It had a bit of a reddish finish to it, which I was just never crazy about. However, by the time I found it, I was ready to concede on the finish if everything else fit the bill. I figured the finish could always be changed down the road, the size...not so much.
Knowing that I eventually wanted to change the finish, I had tossed around various options in my head and knew I wanted to go with a light blue shade. The only decision left was to go with chalk paint or lacquer. Seeing that this was a rainy day project that I didn't want to carry over to the next day, or have to transport to my studio, the decision was made quite easily - chalk paint it was! I made my way over to the local Annie Sloan stockist, discussed various techniques with the saleslady, made my decision, and left with a bag full of goodies.
I decided to go with Louis Blue with a Cocoa wash. The first step was giving the piece two coats of Louis Blue.
Even after this step, the piece felt so much more fresh. I could tell this makeover was really going to lighten up the whole room. The next step was the color wash. I applied the Cocoa using various techniques. I first used a rag over the larger areas. For this step, I dipped the rag in water before the paint, and then ragged it on, wiping off any excess.
I then used a sponge brush to blot the Cocoa into all the crevices. Again, I blotted up any excess. You can really play around with the color wash step to create different looks. While I kept mine more linear, I've also seen it done with more of a circular motion.
Once the paint was fully dry, I gave the whole piece a heavy dose of distressing using 220 grit sandpaper. I really wanted to bring out all the detailing in the piece, and the distressing helped to achieve this.
The final step was to seal everything with a coat of clear was. I go back and forth on how I apply wax, but chose to brush it on this time. It made it easier to get into all the crevices. The end result - bright and cheery!
I couldn't believe what a difference it made to the entire space. Before, the table always seemed dark and heavy, and wasn't really cohesive with the rest of the decor.
Lightening up the table made the whole room feel more spacious. It also added some color to what was a pretty neutral room.
It was an easy update that made a huge difference. And in the end, I'm happy I went with the chalk paint route, as I could highlight all the detailing better.
And it's a good thing it was a one day project, because the following day was warm and sunny, which meant golfing and walking the pups!
Sunday: Finding Silver Pennies
Thursday: Imparting Grace